26 October 2011

Using jQuery to determine the checked items

In one of my APEX pages, I needed to know in javascript which checkboxes are checked. The checked values are placed in an item as a semi-colon (;) delimited list. To be able to do this I created a Dynamic Action which was quite easy.. what wasn't that easy (at least for me, and that's why I want to keep it here so the next time I need this) was to write the javascript expression to get the values. jQuery is simply amazing. Using a "simple" expression it is "easy" to get exactly what was needed.
$('input:checkbox:checked').map(function() {
  return $(this).val();
}).get().join(';');
And the complete Dynamic Action to see the settings that I used:
Probably there is an even easier way to get the same results, I'd be more than interested to learn that...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,

    in the case you don't want to examine all checkbox page item on the page you can also use

    $v2('P10_DEPTNO').join(';')

    or

    $v('P10_DEPTNO')

    which will return all the checked values of that page item. $v2 returns an array and $v returns a colon separated string. That might be simpler that the jQuery expression.

    Regards
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patrick,
    I know I underutilize all the built-in javascript goodness, have to study more.

    Thank you for this addition,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete