10 October 2017

ODC Appreciation Day: EMP #ThanksODC

Here is my very short entry for the Oracle Developer Community Appreciation Day 2017.

Very often I use the good ol' EMP table to demonstrate even the latest features of SQL and PL/SQL.
Everybody seems to know the EMP table, and some even know some of the content off the top of their head (yes, I'm guilty of that too). Whenever I need to write a hierarchical query and am not really sure what which column goes on which side in the CONNECT BY clause, I will use EMP to test and verify my assumptions. Something I did just this afternoon.

I found this old screenshot showing that the EMP table was around in Oracle database version 4.1.1.. history doesn't tell whatever happened to Carter though...

Update

Apparently I'm not the only one who's a fan of the EMP, there is even a store and a museum...

No comments:

Post a Comment